5 Reasons Why You Need a Doula Collective for Your Birth
The Birth Collective is shaking things up and bringing something new to Nova Scotia—a full service doula collective. This gives us the ability to serve more clients, in a larger service area (Halifax to Bridgewater), all while offering a broader range of services, within one business. This is quite a common set up in Western Canada and Ontario, where midwives are also more prevalent, but very new to the Maritimes (we are the first!). So it is understandable that some would have hesitations about hiring a doula collective instead of a solo doula practice.
Is it possible to receive the personalized care of a solo doula with a collective?
The reality is, although we are the ‘biggest’ in the area, The Birth Collective is by no means ‘a machine’. We are still a group of women (and moms!), who passionately care about supporting you and your family through birth and beyond. When you hire our team, you don’t get one jack-of-all-trades doula trying to serve everyone, you get a team specifically picked for your family and are focused on being the best doulas for YOU.
5 Reasons Why You Need a Doula Collective for Your Birth:
1. Professionalism. We have set a high standard for our doulas for a reason- you deserve the very best for your pregnancy, birth and beyond, and support from doulas who are experts in their field. We are here to elevate the role of doulas in our community by being reliable, professional and compassionate every day. Every single doula on our team is CPR certified, insured and trained by a certifying body.
2. Dependable, customized service. A bigger business doesn’t mean you get treated like a number! It means we always have someone available to take your call or answer your email. You’ll never have to wait for a response because your doula is at a birth or unavailable. And when we pair you with (or you request) your doula team, we have chosen the most compatible doula for YOU. You’ll then have the chance to interview them at a complimentary consultation.
3. Continuity of care. We offer a broad range of childbirth services for you and your partner to choose from. This means you have access to our yoga classes, birth workshops, birth support, infant massage classes and postpartum support—services that one doula in a solo practice just can’t offer. Once you access us for one service, you will receive discounts on the other services we provide (who doesn’t love to save?). And better yet, continuity of care is linked to better birth outcomes and success as a parent! We will give you the confidence you need going into your birth that will take you through to parenthood.
4. Collaboration. If you have a tough question for your doula that she can’t answer, she has an entire team ready with their individual areas of expertise to lead her to the right answer. We all come from different educational and experiential backgrounds and each have our own unique specializations. When you work with us, you get 3 heads for the price of 1!
5. We know the right people. Women have a more satisfying birth experience when their birthing teams work together. If you need a referral for chiropractor, acupuncturist, lactation consultant, massage therapist or maternal mental health counsellor, we have contacts within all of these fields and more in our service areas. And chances are, if you love working with us, you are going to love working with them too!
Interested in how The Birth Collective can support you? Talk to us!